So I've entered my second full week of teaching, and finally feel that I am almost caught up with myself! When I first arrived here things were basically in shambles. I had no classroom, no workable schedule, and no one knew what I was supposed to be teaching! I was a little surprised that a country as seemingly well organized as Switzerland could throw me into a mess.... but a school is a school..... is a school... right?
After weeks of never ending meetings (literally.... all day every day), we've entered a somewhat normal schedule. I have an actual job description, and I even have managed to get off campus a few times- which is always a lovely gift! I'll post photos of that soon.
My job description
My job description
Music Program Coordinator
General music teacher, Grades 3-8
Cultural events co-coordinator (taking trips to concerts, etc.)
Private Lesson Coordinator
Dorm Parent (which is not quite as strenuous as being a real parent....but almost)
My job description is NOT:
Music Teacher pre-K through Grade 2. YAY! What a relief!
Work here tends to be a 24/7 ordeal, which seems typical of boarding schools. If you're not teaching, you're eating meals on campus, putting kids to bed, sponsoring field trips, etc. It was overwhelming at first, but I've actually enjoyed the close relationships I'm developing with the students and faculty. (and I also really cherish my 30 minutes of alone time each day!)
Well its 10:15 pm... I'm finally wrapping up my work for the day. Word on campus is that my laptop has returned from Zurich- and i'm desperately hoping to find it in working condition tomorrow.
2 comments:
so good to hear SOME report!! only 3 weeks until I actually seeeee you. even better!
wow, you posted! yay! it sounds... super intense! not a lot of free time, hmm? that's really difficult--especially when your surroundings are so gorgeous!
miss you lots and lots!
Post a Comment